Monday 21 May 2012

Rannerdale Bluebells

'May Time' Oil on board size 24 x 24 inches
I think is finished, I really enjoyed painting this scene, and I'm pretty chuffed with how it evolved and what I wanted to capture. I didn't quite know when I began, where I was going, apart from down the Woodland path  into Borrowdale. But now I see I wanted sunshine, but don't we all! 
With my fetish for Bluebells it's quite amazing that I've never seen the Rannerdale Bluebells in full bloom. On Saturday I was 'the support vehicle' for Nigel and Mik and a few others that needed Flapjack to complete the Keswick Sportive of six passes, Newlands, Whinlatter and Honister from both ways approx 65 miles.
With an hour to spare I had chance to go and see this truly magical  place in the Lake District. The smell of the Bluebells cannot be portrayed in a photograph maybe a painting could do this?

I think it quite shouts pastel or maybe Oil, I will keep you up to date with how it goes, but I think another trip with the paintbrush this time.


And here are the crazy cyclists smiling  just before the sixth pass of the day 'Honister'

2 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I am enjoying your blog. It has been interesting to watch the development of the painting from primary colors into a more natural harmony. I can imagine little peeks of color come through.

As ale=ways the photos are amazing.

Lakeland art said...

Hi Julie, Really pleased your enjoying my blog, it does seem a strange way to start a painting but seeing little flecks of complimentary colour seem to give a painting more sparkle.
I too am really enjoying your blog and your useful comments.