Friday 14 November 2014

Turner in the Lake District

Evening light, Derwentwater
Painted in Watercolours

I'm very excited about going to see the new 'Turner Movie'. I've heard it's got good reviews but I'm not really bothered about these, it will be amazing seeing 'Turners work on the big screen and with a bag of  popcorn thrown in. When we were in Chamonix I figured out nearly where the great master had painted and I'm delighted to find on the Tate web site that he toured the Lake District in 1797 sketching Aira and Lodore Falls, Derwentwater, Buttermere and Patterdale just to name a few scenic spots that he put pencil to paper.

Here is a link to the tate web site that shows Turner painting from just about the same place as 'Evening Light, Derwentwater. It's a fascinating web site showing Turners sketchbook from his visit to the Lakes. I think I may have to try and re-visit some other famous Turner locations.

With the heavy rain and atmospheric grey skies, the Lakeland landscape does shout a Turner approach.

 Ullswater a moody sky. I sat on an old wall, with a strong wind blowing and took in the beauty, while enjoying a hot Chocolate!



After the rain, hours of grey gloom are really worth moments of surreal  light conditions that reveal the delight of the Lakes.
I've sketched in this scene ready for the paint to work some magic, will keep you posted.

No comments: