Monday 17 November 2014

A walk to Gowbarrow Fell


Gowbarrow Fell 1579 feet

All this talk about Turner made me think a visit to Aira Force could be quite exciting especially after the heavy rain. I had my sketchbook at the ready, but the light conditions were a little flat. So I decided to comeback later in the day. The water was gushing down and under foot was a little squelchy, it's a shame photo's don't have sound because I think this is what gives the drama to a waterfall.Turner did paint at this very spot.




Views of Beautiful Ullswater started to appear, it was a little grey but not raining or windy. Reflections on the lake were stunning, a good excuse to stop and take in the view.

This shows the a great panorama, taking in Hallin fell on the left round to the edge of Clough Head on the right. Look at the Autumn colours, the Larch trees are starting to drop the pines and Silver Birches have a soft halo of Crimson


I made my way up the fell, wondering shall I go to the summit top. Dark Grey clouds threatened rain overhead, suddenly a ray of light caught a patch of field. I love moments like this.



The summit was reached with a view down to Dockray and behond to the Blencathra range, on a clearer day this would be a great view point.But still good today.



Down the slippery slope to a dry patch with a view to behold. A quick pen sketch with a watercolour wash. Perfect when time is the essences and not to heavy to heave up the mountain side. I think this would be a super subject to paint in Pastels.


A super varied walk with views to take your breath away.

Fancy learning a few new watercolour techniques, join me with my online course.

No comments: